
Once again, during the New Years Holiday,we were off to visit another local shrine. We simply chose one from our "Mapple" (A book Map of Tochigi Prefecture) and headed off. Once we arrived there, Daniel was asleep, Kim remained in the car, and the other 3 and I went investigating. This shrine was at the top of a hill, in some woods. It wasn't particularly interesting or unusual, other than the fact that nothing like this exists in America. So, I thought that this would make a good opportunity to explain the different parts of a shrine.
First, is the Torii, which I have mentioned before. This particular shrine has two, the shown above, and this one half way up the stairs.

That's Kevin way up there. As I understand it, there are two types, with and without a plaque. The ones without are "pure" Shinto shrines, and with have had some influence on the shrine by Buddhism. Since there are no plaques, this is a "pure" Shinto shrine. Once you have passed through the first Torii, you have entered the shrine grounds.
At the landing, where Kevin is standing above, to the left is a purification fountain.

Before passing farther into the Shrine grounds, one is supposed to purify yourself by washing your hands, and traditionally, rinsing your mouth. We did neither, partially because there was no water in the basin, and partially because it's not our religion.
To it's right was a stone plaque:

I have not had anyone translate it as yet, but when I do I'll update this posting.
At the top of the stairs there were the two guardians of the shrine. This particular shrine was guarded by "Shishi", Japanese Lion Dogs.


Different types of Shinto shrines are guarded by different creatures. If you notice the Shishi which Gracie is standing next to, it's mouth is open, while the other is closed. The one with the mouth open supposed to be scaring away Demons, while the other is keeping the good spirits in. Also to note, are the round objects which are under their feet. This object is called a "Tama" which is a sacred jewel. Interesting to note is that the one that Gracie is next to has it's foot on a smaller creature which is preparing to eat the Tama. Not really sure what that means, but I'll do some research and see what I can find out.
Finally, we come to the shrine building itself.

There are 3 things of note here. First, you will notice a small stone box at the top of the stairs. This is an offering box. Any type of coin is used as offering but apparently 5 yen coins are the luckiest. Next is a rope hanging from the rafters of the building. In many shrines, not this one, the rope is attached to a bell. It is rung before prayers to attract the attention of the "Kami" or god to which the shrine is dedicated. The third thing to note is a rope hanging horizontally with paper "streamers" attached. This is called a "Tamagushi" and is used by the Shinto Priest during ceremonies.
Here is a closer view of the base of the shrine.

To the left and right of the offering box, there are some offereings of "Mochi". Mochi is a sticky rice paste which is eaten at New Years. Since it was just after new years, one is supposed to leave a gift of Mochi for the Kami.
This is a view of the inside of the Shrine:

The shrine is made up of two parts. The Haiden is the front hall which is used during prayer ceremonies. The back part is called the Honden. It houses the sacred object enshrined in the temple and is thought of as the dwelling of the Kami. Only the Shinto Priest is allowed to enter that part of the shrine.
I am sure that there are more interesting parts of Shrines and Temples in Japan. As we visit others, I'll provide any information I can to make this interesting.
Finally, here is the view back down the moss covered steps.
No comments:
Post a Comment